1. A place: Zermatt, Switzerland

2. A book: I enjoy history & biography. Favorites include The Nightingale’s Song by Robert Timberg and An Unfinished Life: John F. Kennedy 1917-1963 by Robert Dallek

3. What sport do you practice? Running, especially half & full marathons. I’ve done 5 marathon’s…so far, all in Paris

4. 3 favorite websites: TED, adage, AllTop

5. A dream: To qualify and then run the Boston Marathon

6. A song: Once Upon a Time, Frank Sinatra

7. A memory in the classroom: Probably from my current class, being simply amazed at the international make up of the students and that, besides being from all around the globe,  virtually all currently live & work in countries other than their own.

8. Your best professor: Dr. Fenton Calhoun, my first advertising professor. He had worked as a copywriter at Chevrolet and had an amazing “book” of ads he had done. He was a wonderful combination of academic and real-life experience.

9. You can´t live without: My family of course. Otherwise, I’m quite flexible. I’ve lived in Europe for over 19 years…The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, England and now Spain. I’m from California so it took me some time to get back to the sunshine.

10. A ritual before teaching: I usually check the latest news on the company profiled in our case that week. I like to update the class on what actually happened after the time of the case and I’m very curious myself!

11. The best article you read recently: When Growth Stalls by Derek van Bever, a HBR piece based on his book. Levi’s is a company featured and, having worked at Levi’s, I found it especially interesting.

One thought on “Getting to Know John Buckie